"I am at a loss to conceive how a man should permit himself to write anything that would be truly disgraceful to a woman, or why a woman should be censured for writing anything that would be proper and becoming for a man."

23 March 2011

Sense & Sensuality

After having not really paid attention to it when it initially aired, I again caught the ‘recent’ mini-series of Sense & Sensibility on PBS.*
I admit to not giving it the attention it deserved before, mostly due to time constraints during my initial viewing. Also, much as I loved David Morrissey even then, this has never been my favorite Austen tale. However, I decided to give it a worthy go again and found I enjoyed it more -- not only more than I anticipated, but actually more than I wanted to, and for this I blame the excellent cast.
It still ranks as not my favorite work (Pride & Prejudice is the apex and I hold a soft spot for Mansfield Park), but I understand it better than I did previously in terms of how Jane uses her parlour drama skills to expose issues of the human heart in a manner I don’t think ever really comes across as well in some of her other works. Of course in this particular instance I attribute the BBC and its solid reputation in adaptation, along with a stellar cast, in breathing life into this story in a manner that makes it seem less Romantic than Ang Lee’s film.
Plus, any film that puts David Morrissey on a horse with beautiful riding clothes AND has him sword fighting pretty much makes my day.


*BTW, US Government, WTF is wrong with you? Cutting funding for education and the arts… because what we want is a society that can’t read or think for themselves and just listens to what the overlords in charge tell them to thi—oh, hey…

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Like This:

none