In honor of the 40th birthday of one of my first, and deepest, celebrity crushes (and a man who would have made the original PFH list were he not already married when he became even semi-famous), I give you:
Forty Reasons I Love Ewan McGregor
(some of these are purely physical – like anyone would make my list of Potential Future Husbands without being delectably attractive)
40. Save a horse, ride a biker – a biker who traverses the globe with his best friend. Repeatedly.
39. He makes this beard actually work
38. Taking up the family business – though warned against it, followed after his uncle Dennis in taking up acting for his career
37. Familial Star Wars ties FTW – Wedge Antilles, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi… oh, wait…
36. His lightsaber – anyone who wields one of these bad boys earns extra points in Hotness (yes, even Christopher Lee)
35. That smile – GUH. *faints*
34. Cool former roomies – When I get access to a TARDIS, I’m totally going back to the days when Ewan, Jude Law and Jonny Lee Miller used to bang around together.
33. He’s crawled into and out of a toilet – now that’s flexibility…
32. His feet.
31. He’s not afraid to wear eyeliner – and looks damn good in it.
30. His adorably flawed southern accent in Big Fish.
29. Big Fish – possibly Burton’s best film, and one sans Johnny Depp, and who does it star…
28. Scottish, without the unintelligible brogue = hot
27. Looks great in a kilt = hotter
26. Honey and glitter and leather, oh my!
25. Has one of the most heartrending and exciting episodes of ER to his credit.
24. Those eyes…
23. Can be forgiven for The Island because (spoiler) there are scenes with two Ewans at once.
22. Has perfect pitch and ain’t afraid to break it out.
21. Devoted family man. Now that is hot.
20. When I get around to crafting the Gay Nudist Musical, he will be the first one I call.
19. Made time with Christian Bale and Jonathan Rhys Meyers… in the same movie.
18. Has played a gay/bi man so many times I lost count = secure in his sexuality AND non-judgmental about others’
17. Looks good even with a rattail.
16. Priest garb = forbidden hotness
15. He’s what makes Moulin Rouge believable, emotional, and painful. Without him it’s just a story about a singing slut who’s dying but will whore herself out one last time to save her theatre.
14. Did I mention the motorcycle?
13. Animated films: check. (Robots, Valiant, etc)
12. Tortured author: check. (James Joyce)
11. Rogue Austen Man: check (Emma)
10. Jedi: checkmate.
9. Stunning profile.
8. Protective of his family and insistent on his kids living outside the spotlight.
7. I love so much of his work (and him), I can usually forget I ever saw Eye of the Beholder. In the theatre.
6. Down With Love: innuendo can be just as hot as full-frontal.
5. His ‘lightsaber’ – you knew it was coming.
4. Humanitarian = hot
3. His laugh… especially his giggle.
2. Coolness under pressure – the man played guitar and sang surrounded by European maifa psychos with guns. That takes a healthy dose of…
1. Fearlessness. Whether it’s riding motorcycles around the world or baring all for the camera, the man knows his limits but is never afraid to test them.